The Shenandoah River offers a variety of excellent fishing spots for anglers of all levels. Whether you’re interested in trout, smallmouth bass, or other fish species, there are several popular locations along the river where you can enjoy a successful fishing trip. Here are some of the best places to go fishing on the Shenandoah River:
- Front Royal: This town is often considered the northern gateway to the Shenandoah National Park and the Shenandoah River. The river around Front Royal offers great fishing for smallmouth bass and catfish.
- Luray: Luray is known for its natural beauty and proximity to the Shenandoah Caverns. The river here is stocked with trout, making it a good spot for trout fishing, especially in the spring and fall.
- Elkton: This area is popular for both fishing and floating. You can find smallmouth bass, catfish, and sunfish in the waters near Elkton.
- Port Republic: This spot is known for its diverse fishing opportunities, with anglers often catching smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, catfish, and sunfish.
- Bentonville: Bentonville offers a mix of calm and faster-moving water, providing opportunities for both fly fishing and traditional spin fishing. Smallmouth bass and sunfish are common catches.
- Front Royal Canoe Company Outfitters: Many outfitters along the river offer canoe and kayak rentals, making it easy to access great fishing spots. Front Royal Canoe Company is one such outfitter that provides fishing and paddling opportunities.
- Andy Guest State Park: This park is located along the South Fork of the Shenandoah River and offers access to fishing, camping, and other outdoor activities. It’s a great place to spend a day or more enjoying the river.
- Shenandoah River State Park: This state park offers multiple access points to the river and features a variety of fish species. It’s a great destination for fishing, hiking, and enjoying the scenic beauty of the river.
- Luray-Hawksbill Greenway: This is a stretch of the river that’s known for its trout fishing, particularly during the stocked trout season.
- Bealer’s Ferry Boat Launch: This boat launch area provides access to both the Shenandoah and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. It’s a good place to catch smallmouth bass and sunfish.
When planning your fishing trip, be sure to check the local fishing regulations and obtain any required licenses or permits. The Shenandoah River is subject to various regulations, including fishing seasons, size limits, and creel limits. Additionally, consider the time of year and the specific fish species you’re targeting, as fishing conditions can vary.